On this page you will find:
- Information for Travellers
- Information for Kurdistani Citizens
- Instructions for Kurdistani Citizens
- Emergency Hotline Number
As part of measures to prevent an outbreak of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in the Kurdistan Region, the Ministry of Interior has issued regulations not to grant visas or entry documents to citizens of seven countries:
(last updated 04-03-2020)
- South Korea
Kurdistani citizens who have visited the seven countries listed above in 2020 will have an additional medical test for the coronavirus before being allowed to enter the Kurdistan Region.
In addition, the Kurdistan Regional Government urges citizens not to travel to other cities in Iraq, as cases of coronavirus have already been confirmed in some areas.
These steps are being taken to protect your health, the health of other travelers and the health of communities in the Kurdistan Region.
Iraqi and foreign citizens traveling to the Kurdistan Region
- No one is allowed to return to the Kurdistan Region from abroad without the permission of the Interior Minister. Those returning will be quarantined on their own expenses at the port of entry.
- Those foreign nationals who work as teachers in Kurdistan Region schools, institutes and universities are permitted to return to Kurdistan Region on a precondition that they hold valid Kurdistan Region Residency and they are supported by the relative ministry.
- Foreign investors, businessmen and Bank staff are permitted to return to Kurdistan Region on the same conditioned in the first paragraph above.
- Iraqi passport holders abroad that returned through the flights organised by the Department of Foreign Relations in both Erbil and Slaymaniyah Airports or travels through the border crossing points of (Ibrahim Khalil, Haji Omaran and Bashmakh), will be quarantined on their expenses in accordance to the procedures set out in this statement, except for the following:
- Students studying abroad.
- Patients that have supporting documents or a reference letter from the hospital that they were abroad for treatment purposes within the past two months.
- Foreign nationals returning to Kurdistan Region via the airports or through Ibrahim Khalil border crossing point will be quarantined on their own expenses.
- Iraqi and foreign citizens that have traveled to the following countries in the past 30 days will undergo tests and quarantined for a duration determined by the Health Ministry.
Bosnia and Herzegovina
United Kingdom (including Scotland)
- Foreign diplomats and official delegations are exempt from the above regulation given that they provide Medical Clearance against the Coronavirus.
- KRG advises all people from the Kurdistan Region who reside in Europe to not return to the Kurdistan Region for the Newroz holidays as all celebrations and events have been suspended.