Project Title APPRAIS
Governance, Quality, Accountability: A Piloting Reform Process In Kurdistan Region Of Iraq
Programmed: European Commission, Erasmus+, KA2 – Capacity-building in the Field of Higher Education. The project has been funded with support from the European Union.
Project Duration: from 15 January 2021 to 14 January 2024.
APPRAIS project idea comes from the willingness of the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR KRG) to improve and develop the higher education system in the Kurdistan region of Iraq. The MOHESR KRG has encouraged several Iraqi Kurdistan Universities to adopt the European higher education model, supporting therefore the implementation of the Bologna Process.
The overarching goal of APPRAIS is to support, through the cooperation with European institutions, the rebuilding and modernisation of the governance system of higher education institutions (HEIs) in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, with a specific focus on strategic planning, quality assurance and Bologna process implementation. To institutionalize good governance practices in Iraqi HEIs also means enforcing institutional values such as autonomy, accountability, participation, quality assurance, and internationalization, as well as implementing well-structured management systems. The project will contribute to the development and modernization of the HE sectors in the Kurdistan region of Iraq, supporting HEIs in meeting international standards and empowering university staff to effectively manage and implement changes.
Key Expected Results
- State of the art on governance and quality assurance in the universities of Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- University roadmap for better university governance and implementation of Bologna process in the HEIs of Kurdistan region of Iraq.
- A number of university leaders (presidents, vice-presidents, heads of IROs and QA responsible) upskilled on strategic planning, quality assurance and credits recognition.
- 80 administrative staff upskilled on university administrative management, quality assurance and internationalization strategies.
- Further university staff (benefit from the institutional Tot’s during the harmonisation phase.
- 8 shared strategic institutional plans validated by the KRI Ministry and adopted by the HEIs in Kurdistan
Link to APPRAIS Project: